If I hear another company say, we’re “doing social media”
“Doing social media” is something a lot of us hear far too many times and honestly, makes it sound like a cheap date that you pick up in a dimly lit alley.
Social Media is not:
– A cheap and easy business strategy
– Something you just ‘do’ and immediately reap the benefits from
– A one-night fling of utter bliss and then thrown aside the next business day
– A biz model that can be purchased and become certified in by anyone who wants to ‘do it’
– A plug n’ play or one-size-fits-all strategy
– Or a niche that happens to knock on your office door and comes in & fixes everything
Social Media is:
– Something you immerse yourself in, learn, practice and practice again
– A strategy that is different based on the company and catered accordingly
– A niche that evolves every day, thus making every day one of new learnings
– A communications channel with your community that requires constant contact & monitoring
– About building relationships with your community, which can’t be ‘done’ and tossed aside the next day w/o repercussions
Albeit a bit of a raunchy analogy, I think you get the point. Social media isn’t the one-hit wonder that fixes a broken business model, but one that takes complete commitment and provides a vital extension to & helps enhance your current strategy.
I could go on and on about the Is Not and Is points but I’d rather hear what you’d add to it. Let me know what your list looks like.
photo credit: wili_hybrid